Sports Coach insurance

Free Multi-Sports Cover
Personal Trainer Insurance
Rated Excellent on Trustpilot

Why do I need coaches insurance?

Our specialist coaches insurance is designed to protect you against the risks that come with being a coach. Whether it’s a liability claim for injury or damage, the theft of your equipment, or loss of earnings after suffering an injury which puts you out of action, we’ve got it covered.

Whatever you coach – be it football, swimming or cheerleading – you should have specialist coaches insurance. Not only are your wellbeing and reputation at risk if you don’t have the right cover, most gyms and sports centres require proof of insurance before letting you use their facilities.

What’s more, if you’re covered through an association membership, this may only offer limited cover.

However, our coaches insurance can be completely tailored to your needs and allows you to pick and choose the right levels of cover.

Read on to discover how our flexible sports coach insurance can benefit you.

Get a quote

Public Liability insurance

Even with the most careful planning and preparation, a number of things can go wrong when you’re coaching teams, players or participants. That’s why coaches need Public Liability insurance to protect themselves against the unexpected accidents that can occur before, during and after sessions.

What does Public Liability insurance cover?

Public Liability protects you if a claim is made against you for injury to another person or property damage.

For example, if you were coaching a cricket team and one of your players took a shot which accidentally damaged someone’s car or broke a window, you could be held accountable and face a costly compensation claim.

Is it a legal requirement for coaches to have Public Liability insurance?

Having your own Public Liability insurance is a requirement for most gyms and sports centres. They will require Proof of Public Liability before allowing you to use their facilities.

How much does Public Liability for coaches cost?

Coaches can take out £1m Public Liability insurance for Category A sports.

When you take out Public Liability with Insure4Sport, you’ll also get £1million Professional Indemnity insurance included FREE.

What does Professional Indemnity insurance cover?

If you give advice to your teams, players or participants, you should have Professional Indemnity insurance. This protects you if, for example, someone suffers an injury as a result of bad advice you have given them and claims against you for their injuries.

Personal Accident insurance

Even if you’re an experienced coach, you can also suffer injuries. These injuries could be a significant financial burden if you don’t have Personal Accident insurance.

What is covered under Personal Accident insurance?

Personal Accident insurance covers different types of injuries. Whether you suffer minor injuries which require physio, or more severe injuries like broken bones or permanent disablement, you should protect yourself in case anything like this does happen.

Insure4Sport Personal Accident insurance provides help to cover the cost of physiotherapy or dental treatment required for your injuries. Plus compensation if you were to suffer accidental death, permanent disablement, loss of limbs or loss of sight following an accident during one of your sessions.

How much does Personal Accident insurance cost for coaches?

Depending on the risk group your sport belongs to, you can get from £10,000 to £50,000 Personal Accident cover.

If you take out Personal Accident insurance, we also offer optional Loss of Earnings cover up to £750 a week for up to 52 weeks, to support you financially if your injuries mean you’re unable to work.

Sports Equipment insurance

It’s not just you or your teams, players or participants that need cover when you’re coaching. You probably rely on a range of valuable equipment to help clients and teams achieve their goals, and if anything happened to this equipment, you could be out of pocket and potentially unable to work. That is, unless you have Sports Equipment insurance.

What does Sports Equipment insurance cover?

Our Sports Equipment insurance will compensate you for the repair or replacement of your equipment if it’s lost, stolen or damaged. What’s more, if your equipment was purchased new and is less than a year old, we will replace it new for old if your claim is successful.

How much does Sports Equipment insurance for coaches cost?

The amount you’ll pay depends on the value of your equipment. We offer Sports Equipment cover up to £50,000 for coaches, with a maximum value for one item of £2,500.

Employers’ Liability insurance

If you employ other members of staff, then by law you need to have Employers’ Liability insurance.

What is covered by Employers’ Liability insurance?

If one of your coaches was injured while working for you, they could hold you responsible, whether the incident took place on or off-site. As a result, you could be on the receiving end of a potentially costly compensation claim.

How much does Employers’ Liability insurance for coaches cost?

The cost will depend on your wage bill across a number of areas, including clerical/managerial, coaches/instructors, players/participants.

Get a quote

Did you know we can protect your clubhouse?

We can cover your clubhouse with Buildings and Contents Insurance plus, you can add protection for your coaches and players too. Plus, we have many more cover options to ensure that you and your facility are fully protected.

What is covered?

What sports and classes are covered under coaches insurance?

We cover over 270 sports, from cricket and football to martial arts. Check out the full list of sports we cover.

What sports and classes are not covered?

Please check our  sports we don't cover  page as, unfortunately, there are certain sports and activities we can’t insure. If you can’t find the sport or activity on the list, just email us at, and we’ll be able to advise you. Alternatively, please call us on 0800 158 5530 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm).

Am I covered for sports massage?

Yes, you will be covered for this under a coach insurance policy. What’s more, you can now get standalone sports massage cover by contacting our call centre on the number above.

Do I need to carry out a risk assessment before holding sessions?

We recommend that before each session you carry out a risk assessment to identify and address any potential hazards.

Whilst it’s not a legal requirement to carry out a risk assessment, we would recommend you do this to decrease the likelihood of an accident happening and a claim being made against you. Check out our blog for detailed advice on how to carry out a risk assessment.

I am a newly qualified coach; will this affect my insurance premium?

Not at all, as long as you hold a qualification recognised by the UK National Governing Body for the Sport.

Are there restrictions on where I hold my sessions?

Insure4Sport don’t place restrictions on your location, but if you’re running sessions in public spaces, you may need to request permission from the relevant authorities. We also strongly recommend you conduct risk assessments ahead of teaching all classes or sessions.

What is most important is that you have the appropriate qualifications, beyond that you are covered to take your coaching sessions in the gym, a local park or at client’s homes.

Can I be covered to teach outside of the UK?

Yes, it’s easy to add Worldwide Cover to your coach insurance policy, so you are protected when running sessions abroad.

Am I covered to offer nutritional advice?

Yes, as long as the nutritional advice you are giving is part of your coaching qualification.

Am I covered for coaching children?

If you have the relevant coaching qualification, we can insure you, unless you are teaching underwater sports such as scuba diving to children who are under 8 years old. These children would not be covered.

Do I need a first aid qualification or certificate to take out a policy?

No, you can get a policy without one but it wouldn’t hurt to have one if you’re going to be running classes as it could reduce the chances of a claim being made against you should an accident happen.

Get a quote

Making a claim

We understand making a claim can be a stressful time, so our aim to is to give you clear, helpful information that will make the process as simple and worry-free as possible. If your question is not answered here, please check out our FAQ page.

What should I do if I need to make a claim?

If an incident happens, or if the claimant appoints a solicitor and you receive a letter initiating court proceedings, please contact one of our claims advisers as soon as you can.

If you call out of office hours, you can leave a message, and you will be contacted the next working day.

All the details for making a claim will be in your policy documents. If you would rather speak to us, you can give us a call on 0333 400 7541 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm).

Will I have to pay an excess if I make a claim?

An excess is only applicable to Loss of Income, Sports Equipment or Personal Accident claims relating to Hospitalisation, Emergency Dental or Physiotherapy.

Is sports equipment replaced on a new for old basis?

Yes, any items which were purchased by you and are under a year old, subject to satisfactory proof of ownership, will be replaced new for old. Sports equipment items that are over a year old will be replaced based on the indemnity value of that equipment at the time of damage or loss.

Get a quote

The sports we cover

We cover a range of sports and activities under our sports coach insurance. Enter your main sports in the box below to check if we cover it, or go to our covered sports page to see a full list of sports.

Get a Quote


multi-sports cover

for over 200 sports

Learn More

Please wait